14th UN Congress on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice
Call for Applications: Civil society statements at the 14th UN Crime Congress
The Kyoto Congress will take place from 7 to 12 March. Information on registration and programme is accessible from the Congress page.
As per General Assembly Resolution 72/192, the substantive Agenda Items of the 14th Congress are the following:
- Comprehensive strategies for crime prevention towards social and economic development
- Integrated approaches to challenges facing the criminal justice system.
- Multidimensional approaches by Governments to promoting the rule of law by, inter alia, providing access to justice for all; building effective, accountable, impartial and inclusive institutions; and considering social, educational and other relevant measures, including fostering a culture of lawfulness while respecting cultural identities, in line with the Doha Declaration.
- International cooperation and technical assistance to prevent and address all forms of crime:
(a) Terrorism in all its forms and manifestations;
(b) New and emerging forms of crime.
The proposed organization of work indicates approximately when these topics will be discussed by the Congress in Kyoto (Japan Standard Time, UTC/GMT +9 hours).
While the Alliance will deliver a joint statement on behalf of civil society at the High Level Segment, “under each agenda item, up to three non-governmental organizations may make statements. These statements are to be coordinated by the Alliance of NGOs on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice” (see information for participants document, paragraph 26).
In order to apply for a speaking slot, please send an email to email@example.com, subject “NGO Statement Crime Congress”, including the following information:
- Agenda item under which the NGO wishes to take the floor
- Topic of the statement (short description)
- Name of the NGO
- Name of the speaker
- Functional title at the NGO
- Email-address (the one that will receive the link)
- Expected format (pre-recorded video, live statement)
Statements and pre-recorded videos need to be limited to max three minutes (approximately 300 words). Note that video statements would need to be transmitted to the secretariat by 26 February 2021. The procedure that will be followed to establish the list of speakers and further information related to the high-level segment is attached (Annex II).
Please note that all participants at the Congress, including the NGO speakers need to be registered
through the United Nations INDICO registration system. Detailed information on registration is available on the Congress website:
Please respond with your expression of interest by the following deadline
Monday 15 February 2021, 11.55 pm CET
26 Jan, 2021